Here’s a story that will make you squeal with delight.

A family in Mt. Carmel, Illinois escaped injury last weekend after its pet pig awoke them when the trailer they all live in caught fire.

Perhaps not so coincidentally, the pig’s name is Lucky.

Ina Farler said Lucky sprang into action when the flames erupted:

He started screaming. He would jump down, run to the door and then jump back up on the bed and hit me really hard. I sat up to see what was wrong with him because he usually doesn't do that through the night. When I sat up, I realized the room was really smoky."

Farler and her two grandchildren managed to safely get out of the trailer.

As for Lucky, Farler says she’s not surprised the swine acted like a hero because pigs "can be very protective."

More From KIXS FM 108