Victoria Museum Offers Spring Break Fun for the Family
Victoria College’s Museum of the Coastal Bend invites students and families to join and participate in exploring the animals that call Texas home. Activities will be held between 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. March 14-18, and are free and open to the public. Supplies are provided for the first 50 participants each day. Take-Home Kits are $5 each. Buy 4 or more take-home kits and receive 25% off! Saturday’s Skull Terrarium Workshop fee is $15 per person for museum members; $20 per person for non-members.
Following is a schedule of event information:
- TUESDAY, March 14: REPTILES--Create a snake out of a cardboard tube, and an ornate box turtle out of metallic relief paper. Take-home kit: Lizard Lanyard
- WEDNESDAY, March 15: BIRDS--Watch an origami demonstration and create your own birds, make a cardinal masquerade mask, and create a felt bird magnet. Take-home kit: Cardinal Masquerade Mask
- THURSDAY, March 16: NOCTURNAL ANIMALS--Play a glow-in-the-dark ringtail ring-toss game, and create an owl mask. Take-home kit: Bat Hanging Mobile
- FRIDAY, March 17: MAMMALS--Walk a mammal maze to match the animal to their habitat, and create a felt mammal magnet. Take-home kit: Mammal Pin
- SATURDAY, March 18: PREHISTORIC ANIMALS--Construct a saber-toothed cat paper model, make your own animal tooth necklace using self-hardening clay, and create a mammoth magnet.
- SATURDAY, March 18, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.: Advance registration required - SKULL TERRARIUM WORKSHOP--Create a skull terrarium with a small animal skull, a succulent, and decorative rocks. Recommended for ages 12+. Limited to 10 students. Register early to ensure your space. $15 per person for museum members; $20 per person for non-members.
The Museum of the Coastal Bend is located on Victoria College’s Main Campus at 2200 E. Red River Street. The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Admission is “Pay-What-You-Want.”