[TIPS] Stay Safe While Popping Fireworks To Bring in The New Year
Popping fireworks to bring in the New Year is a tradition for many families in Texas. So if that is going to be you this year, here are a few firework safety tips for you and your family. Just for your information. Fireworks can be sold in Texas from June 24th through July 4th and December 20th through January 1st for the 4th of July and New Year's Eve. Each county commissioner's court can also permit firework sales for:Texas Independence Day (February 25th-March 2nd)
FIREWORK SAFETY TIPS:
- Only buy fireworks from a reputable and licensed fireworks stand. (State-licensed stands have a State Fire Marshal’s Retail Permit posted.)
- Never give fireworks to small children.
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don't realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees -hot enough to melt some metals.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a "designated shooter."
- Only persons over the age of 12 should be allowed to handle sparklers or fireworks of any type, and only with adult supervision
- Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
- Dispose of fireworks properly by soaking them in water and then disposing of them in your trashcan. After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire
To see the full firework safety list please visit the vctx.org website.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE BURNED:
Now if you happen to have a burn, here are the best practices for medical treatment. One way to consider treatment is to consider the THREE C's; Cool - Call - Cover
- Cool the wound. Do NOT USE cold Water, cold water restricts the blood vessels which can lead to complications during recovery. Instead, use slightly cool water.
- Call 911. It's generally recommended to call 911 if the burn area is larger than the size of your palm.
- Cover the wound loosely with CLEAN gauze or bandages.