26th Annual ‘Adopt A Beach’ Cleanup This Saturday
- The Adopt-A-Beach Program is an all-volunteer program that began in 1986 in an effort to rid Texas beaches of litter.
- Since the program began, 430,000 volunteers have removed more than 8,300 tons of trash from the Texas coastline.
- The Adopt-A-Beach cleanups are an opportunity to come together with family and friends and hopefully meet new friends while doing something good for the community and the environment.
- The volunteers are what make this program so successful.
Fall Cleanup Information for the Victoria Region
- The 26th Annual Texas General Land Office Fall Cleanup will be held at 29 sites all along the Texas coast on Saturday, September 22nd from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon.
- There are three (3) sites in the Victoria area –Magnolia Beach/Indianola, King Fisher Beach and Austwell Pier.
- Since the cleanups began, 8,721 (more than 8,700) volunteers have removed 250 tons of trash from the Victoria region.
Magnolia Beach/Indianola - Port Lavaca – Media Site
- Last spring, 191 volunteers cleaned 2,550 pounds of trash from Magnolia and Indianola beaches.
- Approximately 200 volunteers attend this site for each cleanup and clean 6 miles of beach.
- Since the cleanups began here in 1995, 6,857 (more than 6,800) volunteers have removed 193 tons of trash from Magnolia and Indianola beaches.
What Volunteers need to do to Participate:
- Locate the site you want to attend at www.texasadoptabeach.org.
- Register online or just show up at the site of choice on Saturday, September 22nd.
- Large groups should pre-register by contacting the local site coordinator or register online by Wednesday, September 19th - or just show up that morning between 8:30 and 9:00 a.m.
- Volunteers will need to wear closed toe shoes and bring – sunscreen, sunglasses, bug repellant, a hat, and drinking water.
- On September 22nd, check in at the site location of choice and receive your supplies (trash bags, gloves, data cards, and pencils).
- Go clean the beach.
- When finished cleaning, return back to the check-in site and turn in your data cards and enjoy some refreshments.
- We clean rain or shine!