Texas Town With Population of 250 Has 50 Police Officers
Yes, you read that right! A small Texas Town called Coffee has 50 sworn-in police officers. A video went viral on TkTok this past week and thanks to our friends at KHOU.COM, we were able to learn more. But first. check out the TikTok video.
@fayeluvsyou #texas #city #police #officer #fyp #fayeluvsyou #houston #money #scam ♬ original sound - Faye-News-Gossip
According to the article, The city limit sign on the side of State Highway 155 reads “POP 249.” In a town of barely 250 residents, there are 50 full-time and reserve officers in the department. That is five times the number of cops than any town its size, according to Texas Commission on Law Enforcement records.
Coffee is giving me Kendleton vibes:
If you grew up in our area and frequented Houston, chances are you probably heard, 'Don't speed through Kendleton.' Who remembers that? Check out these stats about the Coffee Police Department. According to KHOU, Coffee City’s budget shows the town collected more than $1 million in court fines last year. That came from more than 5,100 citations officers wrote, the most in the state for a town its size according to the Texas Office of Court Administration.
COFFEE HAS ALSO HAD ITS SHARE OF TROUBLE WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT:
- An officer was terminated for posting a Facebook message to a citizen: “You should kill yourself, do the world a favor.”
- An officer was suspended for smashing a window and entering his girlfriend’s home without consent.
- A deputy constable was suspended after a burglary victim’s laptop computer was found in his home.
- A deputy constable was terminated for tackling a non-resisting citizen to the ground during a traffic stop.
- A deputy sheriff was terminated for slapping a handcuffed inmate without provocation.
- Two officers were terminated for lying on their job applications.
LESSER KNOWN TEXAS TRAFFIC LAWS