Recently, the Victoria Fire Department conducted its Fire Prevention Poster Contest for area schools.  I remember doing these back in elementary school, you know back in the days, when Pure Heart perform at local schools, telling us to 'just say no.' Yes, I am showing my age.  While my posters were never recognized, these students were.


Pictured in the photograph from left, are Alan Sizemore, Citgo Petroleum Corporation; Kaycee Koehl, Victoria Fire, and Safety.  THIRD GRADE WINNER:  Gannon Youngblood, THIRD-GRADE WINNER: Addison Knode, FIRST GRADE WINNER: Cora Martin, SECOND-GRADE WINNER: Lauren Kraatz, FOURTH-GRADE WINNER:  Avery Griffin, and Holly Patterson and Celina Yoast, Rosewood Funeral Chapel.

The ceremony took place at an award ceremony on October, 30th at the Victoria Community Center. The contest was sponsored in part by Victoria Fire and Safety, Citgo Petroleum Corporation, and Rosewood Funeral Chapel.

This year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign was, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen." This organization works to educate everyone about the simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves, and those around them, safe in the kitchen. Here is a random fact for you: Cooking is the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the kitchen.

Fire Prevention Week is observed each year during the week of October 9th.  In commemoration of the Great Chicago Fire.  The great fire began on October 8, 1871, and caused devastating damage. This tragic fire killed 250 people, left 100,000 homeless, destroyed more than 17,400 structures, and burned more than 2,000 acres of land.

KIXS FM 108 logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

READ MORE: See 50 remote jobs that can pay well

More From KIXS FM 108