Everything We Know About Cody Johnson’s New Album, ‘Ain’t Nothin’ to It’
On Friday (Jan. 18), Cody Johnson dropped Ain't Nothin' to It, his major-label debut album. The former rodeo cowboy and prison guard has been on the country music scene for many years, and released six independent albums previously, but this new disc will be his first with a major Nashville label.
Johnson's traditional country style and real-life experience have earned him a devoted fan following over the years. Read on for more about his new disc.
Ain't Nothin' to It is the title of Johnson's new album. The song takes its title from the first song on the album, written by David Lee and Leslie Satcher. Lee has written the title tracks of all of Johnson's other albums, he tells The Boot, so it's a bit of a superstition that the singer keeps up with each new release.
The Release Date
Johnson released his new album on Jan. 18, 2019.
The Record Label
The native Texan signed a partnership with Warner Music Nashville in June. Ain't Nothin' to It is Johnson's first release with the label.
"There’s been plenty of opportunities to 'get rich, get famous' over the years with a label deal that wasn’t right, and I just didn’t really care about it," Johnson says. "I think that mentality is what landed us a groundbreaking 50-50 partnership with one of the major labels in town. The only person that has the deal that is structured like mine is Kenny Chesney, and I think that speaks to the amount of thought and unwillingness to sacrifice what we had."
The Album Cover
Johnson's Ain't Nothin' to It album cover can be seen above.
Ain't Nothin' to It was produced by Trent Willmon, a fellow rodeo cowboy and recording artist who has worked with Johnson in the past.
"On My Way to You" is the soaring first single from Ain't Nothin' to It. Written by Brett James and Tony Lane, Johnson relates the song to the ups and downs of life on the trek to find his wife. "Maybe you'll relate to it. I hope you do," he shared when he released the single in August.
There are a total of 15 songs on Ain't Nothin' to It, including two bonus tracks, recorded live in studio by Johnson and his band. Among the songs are covers of the Charlie Daniels Band's "Long Haired Country Boy" and Brooks & Dunn's "Husbands and Wives."
Cody Johnson, Ain't Nothin' to It Track Listing:
1. "Ain’t Nothin’ to It" (David Lee, Leslie Satcher)
2. "Noise" (Radney Foster, Jim McCormick and Gordie Sampson)
3. "Fenceposts" (Robert Arthur and Benji Davis)
4. "Understand Why" (Neil Medley and Randy Montana)
5. "Long Haired Country Boy" (feat. the Rockin’ CJB) (Charlie Daniels)
6. "Nothin’ on You" (Barrett Baber and Trent Willmon)
7. "Honky Tonk Mood" (Al Anderson and Chris Stapleton)
8. "Monday Morning Merle" (Bart Butler, Lance Miller, Brad Warren and Brett Warren)
9. "Ya’ll People" (dedicated to the “CoJoNation”) (Chase McGill, John Osborne and Laura Veltz)
10. "Where Cowboys Are King" (Carlton Anderson, Brice Long and Wynn Varble)
11. "On My Way to You" (Brett James and Tony Lane)
12. "Doubt Me Now" (Casey Beathard and Mitch Oglesby)
13. "Dear Rodeo" (Dan Couch and Cody Johnson)
14. "Husbands and Wives" (live bonus track) (Roger Miller)
15. "His Name Is Jesus" (live bonus track) (Cody Johnson)
Johnson is currently on tour across the U.S. Tour details can be found on his website.
Cody Johnson's "On My Way to You" Is an Uncompromising Country Hit
Who Is Cody Johnson? 5 Things You Need to Know